Jun Liu, Ph.D., Professor
09. 2012 - 09. 2016
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering
Laboratory of Wood and Paper Chemistry
Åbo Akademi University, Åbo/Turku, Finland
09. 2009 - 03. 2012
Master of Science in Engineering
Tianjin Key Laboratory of Pulp and Paper
Tianjin University of Science & Technology, Tianjin, P. R. China
09. 2005 - 07. 2009
Bachelor of Science in Engineering
Tianjin University of Science & Technology, Tianjin, P. R. China
2017.08-now Jiangsu University，Biofuels Institute，Professor
2016.07-2017.07 Uppsala University，Sweden. Post-doctoral fellow
2016.06-2016.07 Uppsala University，Sweden. Visiting research
2015.04-2015.07 Paper and Fibre Research Institute (PFI), Norway. Visiting research
2013.01-2013.05，2013.10 KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden. Visiting research
3D printing：Development of biomass-based materials as 3D printing feedstocks for potential application in biomedicine/ pharmacy, fashion, art, apparel, interior and architecture products.
Biocomposites：Biocomposites (thin films, hydrogels, and aerogels) based on nanocellulose and polysaccharides for potential tissue engineering, wound healing, and drug delivery application.
Polysaccharides：Extraction, functionalization and structural profiling of plant-polysaccharides (hemicellulose).
Peer-reviewed journal articles （IF 104.914 2020.03.31）
1. Qianqian Zhu, Simeng Liu, Jianzhong Sun, Jun Liu, Honglei Chen, Weihua Xu, Qianqian Wang. Stimuli-Responsive Cellulose Nanomaterials for Smart Applications: a Review. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2020, 235, 115933. (IF: 6.044)
2. Qianqian Wang, Chencheng Ji, Jianzhong Sun, Qian Yao, Jun Liu, Rana Muhammad Yousaf Saeed, Qianqian Zhu. Kinetic thermal behavior of nanocellulose filled polylactic acid filament for fused filament fabrication 3D printing. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2019, 136, 48374. (IF: 2.188)
3. Qianqian Wang, Qian Yao, Jun Liu, Jianzhong Sun, Qianqian Zhu, Honglei Chen. Processing nanocellulose to bulk materials: a review. Cellulose, 2019, 26:7585-7617. (IF: 3.917)
4. Qianqian Zhu, Qian Yao, Jianzhong Sun, Honglei Chen, Xu Weihua, Jun Liu, Qianqian Wang. Stimuli Induced Cellulose Nanomaterials Alignment and its Emerging Applications: a Review. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2020, 230, 115609. (IF: 6.044)
5. Sujie Yu, Jun Liu, Yifei Shi, Liang Cheng, Qianqian Wang, Jian Wu, Jianzhong Sun. High value-added product based on nanocellulose from biomass waste Biomass waste - A source of raw materials and nanocellulose. 2019, under review.
6. Sujie Yu, Jun Liu, Jianzhong Sun, Qianqian Wang, Jian Wu. Optimization of alginate bioactive sulfated polysaccharides extraction from ulva ((Enteromorpha)) prolifera and analysis of its chemical properties. 2019, under review.
7. Jun Liu, Lushan Sun, Wenyang Xu, Qianqian Wang, Sujie Yu, Jianzhong Sun. Current advances and future perspectives of 3D printing natural-derived biopolymers. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2019, 207：297-316. (IF: 6.044)
8. Qianqian Wang, Jianzhong Sun, Qian Yao, Chencheng Ji, Jun Liu, Qianqian Zhu. 3D printing with cellulose materials. Cellulose, 2018, 25(8):4275-4301. (IF: 3.917)
9. Jun Liu, Markus Bacher, Thomas Rosenau, Stefan Willför, Albert Mihranyan. Potentially Immunogenic Contaminants in Wood-based and Bacterial Nanocellulose: Assessment of Endotoxin and (1,3)-β-D-glucan Levels. Biomacromolecules, 2018, 19:150-157. (IF: 5.667)
10. Jun Liu, Stefan Willför, Albert Mihranyan. On Importance of Impurities, Potential Leachables and Extractables in Algal Nanocellulose for Biomedical Use. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2017, 172: 11-19. (IF: 6.044)
11. Jun Liu, Lushan Sun, Qianqian Wang, Jianzhong Sun. The advancements and prospects of 3D printing material using biomass-based composites. Biotechnology & Business, 2017, 3:54-67.
12. Jun Liu, Ann-Sofie Leppänen, Victor Kisonen, Stefan Willför, Chunlin Xu, Francisco Vilaplana. Insights on the distribution of substitutions in spruce galactoglucomannan and its derivatives using integrated chemo-enzymatic deconstruction, chromatography and mass spectrometry. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2018, 112C:616-625. (IF: 4.784)
13. Markus Peurla, Peter Kunnas, Jussi Kauppila, Antti Viinikanoja, Sauli Haataja, Rose-Marie Latonen, Patrycja Bober, Chunlin Xu, Jun Liu, Lauri Pelliniemi, Carita Kvarnström. Improved image contrast in low voltage transmission electron microscopy by using graphene oxide sample support. Journal of Applied Physics, under review 2017.
14. Wenyang Xu, Henrik Grénman, Jun Liu, Dennis Kronlund, Bin Li, Jouko Peltonen, Stefan Willför, Anna Sundberg, Chunlin Xu. Preparation of cellulose nanocrystals by mild oxalic acid-catalyzed hydrolysis. ChemNanoMat, 2017, 3:109-119. (IF: 3.431)
15. Kajsa Markstedt, Wenyang Xu, Jun Liu, Chunlin Xu, Paul Gatenholm. Synthesis of tunable hydrogels based on O-acetyl-galactoglucomannans from spruce. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2017, 157:1349-1357. (IF: 6.044)
16. Jun Liu, Gary Chinga-Carrasco, Fang Cheng, Wenyang Xu, Stefan Willför, Kristin Syverud, Chunlin Xu. Hemicellulose-reinforced nanocellulose hydrogels for wound healing application. Cellulose, 2016, 23:3129–3143. (IF: 3.917)
17. Jun Liu, Victor Kisonen, Stefan Willför, Chunlin Xu, Francisco Vilaplana. Profiling the substitution pattern of xyloglucan derivatives by integrated enzymatic hydrolysis, hydrophilic-interaction liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A, 2016, 1463:110-120. (IF: 3.585)
18. Jun Liu, Fang Cheng, Henrik Grénman, Steven Spoljaric, Jukka Seppälä, John Eriksson, Stefan Willför, and Chunlin Xu. Development of nanocellulose scaffolds with tunable structures to support 3D cell culture. Carbohydrate polymers, 2016, 148:259-271. (IF: 6.044)
19. Jun Liu, Stefan Willför, Chunlin Xu. A review of bioactive plant polysaccharides: Biological activities, functionalization, and biomedical applications. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre, 2015, 5(1):31-61.
20. Xiaoju Wang, Fang Cheng, Jun Liu, Jan-Henrik Smått, David Gepperth, Mika Lastusaari, Chunlin Xu1, Leena Hupa. Biocomposites of copper-containing mesoporous bioactive glass and nanofibrillated cellulose for chronic wound healing. Acta Biomaterialia, 2016, 46:286-298. (IF: 6.638)
21. Bin Li, Wenyang Xu, Dennis Kronlund, Anni Määttänen, Jun Liu, Stefan Willför, Hongyan Mou, Xindong Mu, Chunlin Xu. Cellulose nanocrystals prepared via formic acid hydrolysis followed by TEMPO-mediated oxidation. Carbohydrate Polymers, 2015, 133:605-612. (IF: 6.044)
22. Camila Honorato, Vinay Kumar, Jun Liu, Hanna Koivula, Chunlin Xu, Martti Toivakka. Transparent nanocellulose-pigment composite films. Journal of Materials Science, 2015, 50(22):1-10. (IF: 3.442)
23. Daniel Dax, M. Soledad Chávez Bastidas, Camila Honorato, Jun Liu, Steven Spoljaric, Jukka Seppälä, Regis T. Mendonça, Chunlin Xu, Stefan Willför, Julio Sánchez. Tailor-made hemicellulose-based hydrogels reinforced with nanofibrillated cellulose. Nordic Pulp and Paper Research Journal, 2015, 30(3):373-384. (IF: 1.255)
24. Dimitar Valtakari, Jun Liu, Vinay Kumar, Chunlin Xu, Martti Toivakka, Jarkko J Saarinen. Conductivity of PEDOT:PSS on spin-coated and drop cast nanofibrillar cellulose thin films. Nanoscale Research Letters, 2015, 10:386. (IF: 3.411)
25. Jun Liu, Risto Korpinen, Kirsi S. Mikkonen, Stefan Willför, and Chunlin Xu. Nanofibrillated cellulose originated from birch sawdust after sequential extractions: a promising polymeric material from waste to films. Cellulose, 2014, 21(4):2587–2598. (IF: 3.917)
26. Patrycja Bober, Jun Liu, Kirsi S. Mikkonen, Petri Ihalainen, Markus Pesonen, Carme Plumed-Ferrer, Atte von Wright, Tom Lindfors, Chunlin Xu, Rose-Marie Latonen. Biocomposites of nanofibrillated cellulose, polypyrrole and silver nanoparticles with electroconductive and antimicrobial properties. Biomacromolecules, 2014, 15(10): 3655-3663. (共同第一作者) (IF: 5.667)
27. Ann-Sofie Leppänen, Chunlin Xu, Jun Liu, Xiaoju Wang, Markus Pesonen, Stefan Willför. Anionic polysaccharides as templates for the synthesis of conducting polyaniline and as structural matrix for conducting biocomposites. Macromol Rapid Commun, 2013, 34(13):1056-1061. (IF: 4.078)
28. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu. The Role of cellulose binding domains in the adsorption of cellulases onto fibers and its effect on the enzymatic beating of bleached kraft pulp. Bioresources, 2012, 7(1): 878-892. (IF: 1.396)
29. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu, Jianfeng Xu, and Yangbing Wen. Optimizing enzymatic pretreatment of recycled fiber for improving its draining ability using response surface methodology. BioResources, 2012, 7(2):2121-2140. (IF: 1.396)
30. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu. Treatment of NBKP with cellulase to reduce the refining energy consumption in production of grease proof paper. The 2011 International Conference on Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials (CEAM 2011), 2011, Vol 236-238, 1379-1384.
31. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu. Combined enzyme and chemical fixing agent to control DCS in papermaking white water. Environmental Pollution and Public Health (EPPH2011). 2011, Vol 2, 978-1-4244-5089-2/11, pp.1-4.
32. Jun Liu. The Relationship between Energy Requirement and Barrier Properties in the Production of Greaseproof Paper. World Pulp and Paper, 2012, 31(3):17-22. (Translation)
33. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu. Study on Enzymatic Beating of P-RC APMP. China Pulp & Paper, 2011, 30(3):1-5.
34. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu, Sha Yang. Enzymatic Control of DCS from Pulp and White Water. Paper and Paper Making, 2011, 30(1):56-59.
35. Jun Liu. Refining Energy Reduction and Pulp Characteristic Modification of Alkaline Peroxide Mechanical Pulp (APMP) through Enzyme Application. World Pulp and Paper, 2011, 30(1):17-22. (Translation)
36. Jun Liu. Enzymatic Upgrade of Old Paperboard Containers. World Pulp and Paper, 2011, 30(3):29-34. (Translation)
37. Jun Liu. Retention of PCC and GCC on chemical pulp fines surfaces. Paper Chemicals, 2011, 23(2):50-53. (Translation)
38. Jun Liu. Enzymatic Refining of Pulps: An Overview. Paper Chemicals, 2011, 23(1):62-66. (Translation)
39. Jun Liu. Research Progress of Xylanase Auxiliary Bleaching Mechanism. Paper and Paper Making, 2010, 29(12):58-60.
40. Sha Yang, Huiren Hu, Jun Liu. Study on the enzymatic treatment of Dissolved and Colloidal Substances. Transactions of China Pulp and Paper-supplement, 2010, 301-305.
41. Sha Yang, Huiren Hu, Jun Liu. Effects of Enzyme Combined Chemical Additives on Controlling DCS in BCTMP Pulp. Pulp and Paper making, 2010, 29(8):47-50.
42. Jun Liu. Pectinase Reduces the Cationic Demand of Peroxide-bleached TMP: A PAPER Machine Trial. World Pulp and Paper, 2010, 29(2):26-34. (Translation)
43. Jun Liu. Biomechanical Pulping of Softwood with Enzymes and White-rot Fungus Physisporinus Rivulosus. World Pulp and Paper, 2010, 29(5):18-25. (Translation)
44. Jun Liu. Effect of Cationic Tapioca and Potato Starches on TMP Fibres Loaded with PCC. World Pulp and Paper, 2010, 29(6):34-39. (Translation)
45. Jun Liu. Influence of polymer charge, temperature, and surfactants on surface sizing of liner and greaseproof paper with hydrophobically modified starch. Paper Chemicals, 2010, 22(6):57-61. (Translation)
46. Jun Liu. Save fiber and maintain properties - Nalco's new filler technology. Paper Chemicals, 2010, 22(S1):45-48. (Translation)
47. Jun Liu. Will ink jet papers become a deinking nightmare？Paper Chemicals, 2010， 22(5):69-70. (Translation)
48. Zhiqiang Tian, Xilei Duan, Jun Liu. A novel and environmentally wet-end mixing technology. Paper Chemicals, 2009, 21(4):54-55. (Translation)
1. Sujie Yu, Jun Liu. High value-added products from Green tides – extraction of alginate and nano-cellulose for potential 3D printing application. The 26th Tri-U International Joint Seminar and Symposium, Zhenjiang, China, October 21th -24th, 2019.
2. Jun Liu, Albert Mihranyan, Thomas Rosenau, Markus Bacher, Stefan Willför, Sujie Yu, Jianzhong Sun. On importance of biosafety evaluation of nanocelluloses for biomedical applications. The 5th International Conference on Pulping, Papermaking and Biotechnology, proceeding, Nanjing, China, November 12th -14th, 2018.
3. Qian Yao, Jianzhong Sun, Jun Liu, Qianqian Wang. Printability evaluation of eucalyptus wood powder, unbleached pulp and bleached pulp filled PLA filaments for FDM 3D printing and their thermal behaviors. The 5th International Conference on Pulping, Papermaking and Biotechnology, proceeding, Nanjing, China, November 12th -14th, 2018.
4. Jun Liu, Ann-Sofie Leppänen, Patrycja Bober, Xiaoju Wang, Tom Lindfors, Rose-Marie Latonen, Stefan Willför, Chunlin Xu. Nanocellulose acting as templates for synthesis of conducting polymers and in situ formation of bicomposites. International Electromaterials Science Symposium, proceedings abstracts, North Wollongong, Australia, February 7th-10th, 2017.
5. Jun Liu, Stefan Willför, Francisco Vilaplana, Chunlin Xu. Structural elucidation of plant cell wall polysaccharides and their derivatives by integrated enzymatic, chromatographic, and mass spectrometric approaches. 14th Bratislava Symposium on Saccharides "Glycochemistry for biology and medicine". Smolenice Castle, Slovakia, Jun 25th-30th, 2017.
6. Jun Liu, Xiaoju Wang, Fang Cheng, Gary Chinga-Carrasco, Kristin Syverud, Stefan Willför, Chunlin Xu. Nanocellulose-Based Scaffolds Torwards Medical Applications. The 1st International Symposium on Nanocellulosic Materials, proceedings abstracts, Hangzhou, China, May 20th-21st, 2017.
7. Chunlin Xu, Jun Liu, Xiaoju Wang, Fang Cheng, Gary Chinga-Carrasco, Kristin Syverud, Stefan Willför. Nanocellulose-based scaffolds with tunable structures to support 3D cell culture. International Conference on Nanotechnology for Renewable Materials, proceedings abstracts, Grenoble, France, June 13th-16th, 2016.
8. Antonio Martínez-Abad, Jun Liu, Chunlin Xu, Francisco Vilaplana. Pattern of glycosyl and acetyl substitutions in spruce hemicelluloses using glycomic approaches. EWLP 2016, 14th European Workshop on Lignocellulosics and Pulp, Proceeding, Autrans, France, June 28th-30th, 2016.
9. Jun Liu, Fang Cheng, Stefan Willför, Chunlin Xu. Nanocellulose films and aerogels with tunable structures as matrix for cellular processes in tissue engineering. EPNOE 2015, the 4th EPNOE International Polysaccharide Conference, Proceeding abstracts, Warsaw, Poland, October 19th-22th, 2015.
10. Martinez-Abad, Andrea C Ruthes, Jun Liu, Chunlin Xu, Lauren S. McKee, Vincent Bulone, Francisco Vilaplana. Glycomic approaches to unravel the intramolecular substitution patten of hemicellulose. EPNOE 2015, the 4th EPNOE International Polysaccharide Conference, Proceeding abstracts, Warsaw, Poland, October 19th-22th, 2015.
11. Chunlin Xu, Jun Liu, Patrycja Bober, Tom Lindfors, Rose-Marie Latonen. Electroconductive and antimicrobial composite films of nanocellulose, polypyrrole and silver nanoparticles. ISWFPC 2015, the 18th International Symposium on Wood, Fibre and Pulping Chemistry, Proceedings, Vienna, Austria, September 9th-11th 2015.
12. Jun Liu, Fang Cheng, Stefan Willför, Chunlin Xu. Tailoring wood cellulose to nanocomposites with controlled structure towards wound healing applications. The 8th CALSIF (Chinese Association of Life Scientists in Finland) annual meeting, Proceeding abstracts, Helsinki, Finland, November 29th, 2014.
13. Jun Liu, Chunlin Xu, Stefan Willför, Francisco Vilaplana. Structural elucidation of plant cell wall polysaccharides and their derivatives using chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques. EWLP 2014, 13th European Workshop on Lignocellulosics and Pulp, Proceeding, Seville, Spain, June 24th-27th, 2014.
14. Chunlin Xu, Ann-Sofie Leppänen, Jun Liu, Patrycja Bober, Xiaoju Wang, Tom Lindfors, Rose-Marie Latonen, Stefan Willför. Nanofibrillated cellulose prepared from TEMPO oxidation acting as templates for synthesis of conducting polymers and in situ formation of biocomposites. EWLP 2014, the 13th European Workshop on Lignocellulosics and Pulp, Proceedings, Seville, Spain, August 24th-27th, 2014.
15. Francisco Vilaplana, Jun Liu, Lauren S. McKee, Chunlin Xu, Rosana Moriana, Monica EK. Glycomic tools for the structural characterization of hemicelluloses: Impact on their exploitation for novel-carbohydrate-based materials. POLYMAR 2013, International Conference in Polymers with special Focus in Early Stage Researchers, Proceeding abstracts, Crucero por el Mediteeráneo, Spain, November 8th-12th, 2013.
16. Jun Liu, Risto Korpinen, Kirsi S. Mikkonen, Stefan Willför, and Chunlin Xu. Nanofibrillated cellulose originated from birch sawdust after sequential extractions – a new route of developing polymeric materials in forest biorefinery. EPNOE 2013, the 3rd EPNOE International Polysaccharide Conference, Proceeding abstracts, Nice, France, October 21th-24th, 2013.
17. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu. Use of cellulase for improving the beatability of PRC-APMP. International Mechanical Pulping Conference, Proceedings, Xi’an, China, June 27th-29th, 2011, P236-239.
18. Sha Yang, Huiren Hu, Jun Liu. Combining pectinase and chemical additives to control dissolved and colloidal substances in HYP. The 4th International Symposium on Emerging Technologies of Pulping and Papermaking, Proceedings, Guangzhou, China, August 8th-10th 2010, pp.933-936.
19. Jun Liu, Huiren Hu, Sha Yang. Combined enzymatic and chemical control agent methods to control DCS in APMP. The 4th International Symposium on Emerging Technologies of Pulping and Papermaking, Proceedings, Guangzhou, China, August 8th-10th, 2010, pp.941-944.
Address: 301 Xuefu Road, Zhenjiang 212013, Jiangsu province, P. R. China