Dr. Jianzhong Sun
Title: Ph.D. / Distinguished professor
Work Phone: 0511-88796122
Affiliation/position: Director, Biofuels Institute, School of The Environmental and Safety Engineering, Jiangsu University, China
Business Address: 301 Xuefu Road, P. O. Box 63#, Jiangsu University, Zhenjiang, 212013, Jiangsu, China
Ph.D., Louisiana State University, USA
Major: Entomology, Minor: Statistics/Microbiology
M. S., Nanjing Agricultural University, China
B. S., Nanjing Agricultural University, China
Major: Plant Protection
Employer: Jiangsu University, China
Position or Title: Distinguished professor at School of the Environmental and Safety Engineering, Jiangsu University,
Director of Biofuels Institute, Jiangsu University, China
Adjunct professor, Washington State University, USA
August 2004—June 2009
Employer: Costal Research and Extension Center, Mississippi State University, USA
Location: 1815 Popp’s Ferry Rd. Biloxi, MS，USA
Position or Title: Assistant professor, PhD student advisor
January 2002—August 2003
Employer: Louisiana State University, USA
Location: Baton Rouge, 70803, Louisiana，USA
Position or Title: Postdoctoral associate
May 1996—December 1997
Employer: Louisiana State University, USA
Location: Baton Rouge，70803，Louisiana，USA
Position or Title: Senior research scientist
July 1992—April 1996
Employer: Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
Location: No.50 Zhongling Street,Xuanwu District, Nanjing, China
Position or Title: Associate professor
February 1991—May 1992
Employer: Auburn University, Alabama, USA
Location: Auburn, Alabama 36849, USA
Position or Title: Visiting scientist
August 1985—January 1991
Employer: Jiangsu Academy of Agricultural Sciences, China
Location: No.50 Zhongling Street,Xuanwu District, Nanjing, China
Position or Title: Assistant professor
● Develop advanced technologies for biomass conversion and utilization that include biomass recycling, reuse, and recovery, uniquely by the biological conversion pathway.
● Reveal and Mimic highly efficient natural lignocellulolytic conversion systems (e.g. wood-feeding termites or other cellulose-feeding animals) to advance current bioreactors for biofuels and bioproducts, e. g. Natural Inspired Technology.
● Develop dedicated bioenergy crops and the associated technologies for biofuel industries; primarily focus on cell wall modification as well as the foreign lignocellulase gene clone and expression in plant.
● Develop the advanced technologies for biomass-based plastics and other bio-products, particularly focused on the lignocellulosic material development that can apply to 3D printing technology.
● Develop the advanced technologies for Microbial Fuel Cell that primarily focuses on the cellulose utilization, as well as some biosensors for environmental monitoring.
Graduate student course for both Chinese and foreign students: Academic Proposal and Presentation, for each spring semester, since 2015, 2 credits with 24 teaching hours, in English
Editors/Guest Editors and Editor-in-chief service
● Executive Editor-in-Chief, Environmental Science & Ecotechnology (ESE), Elsevier Publisher, Since 2019-07-05
● Guest Editor (Zhang, C. Q. Quirino, R. L. and Jianzhong Sun), the special issue on “Biobased polymers and composites”, for an international journal, “International Journal of polymer Science”, published by Hindawi in 2018, V2018
● Guest Editor (Jianzhong Sun and Michael Scharf), the special issue on “Insects and Biofuels”, for an international journal, “Insect Science”, published by Wiley and Blackwell in 2010, V17.
● Editor-in-Chief, “Journal of 3D printing and Applications”, OAP publisher
● Editor, Journal of Carbohydrate, OAP publisher
● Editor, Chinese Journal of Applied Entomology (In Chinese), Run by The Entomological Society of China
● Advisory board member, “Energy, Sustainability, and Society”, Springer
● Serve as a referee for more than 30 international journals, such as “Biofuels, Bioproducts, and Biorefining”, “Biomass and Bioenergy”, “Biotechnology for Fuels”, “Process Biochemistry”, “Green Chemistry”, “PLoS one”, “Insect Science”, “Journal of Insect Physiology”, “Microbial Ecology”, “Fuel”, etc.
Awarded research grants (2004-2009) from USA:
1. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI, 2007-2008. Biological hydrogen production from biomass by wood-feeding termites. Sponsored by Sun-Grant, U. S. DOT. US$60,000/year. (This project was a USA national level competition and awarded by US Department of Transportation).
2. Jian-Zhong Sun. PI, 2004-2008. Biology and control of the Formosan subterranean termite (Coptotermes formosanus). Sponsored by USDA-ARS, total US$600,000.
3. Jian-Zhong Sun. PI, 2008-2013. Biology and control of the Formosan subterranean termite (Coptotermes formosanus). Sponsored by USDA-ARS, total US$750,000
4. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI, 2006-2009. Evaluation of quarterly replenishment of 0.5% Hexaflumuron for control subterranean termites, Coptotermes and Reticulitermes spp., In the United States. Sponsored by Dow AgroSciences, US$ 30,000.
5. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI. 2004-2006, An integrated vetiver grass program as an alternative crop for Mississippi Farmers in control of Formosan subterranean termite, sponsored by USDA/MSU, total US$30,000.
6. Richard Watson and Jianzhong Sun, Co-PI. 2004-2006, Propagation of vetiver grass for Formosan Subterranean Termite research program, sponsored by USDA/MSU, Total US$15,000
Awarded research grants (2009-2019, selected) from China:
7. Jian-Zhong Sun, leading PI. 2019-2022, Processing Biomimetic technologies for converting lignocellulose into high-value added consumer and industrial products, National Key R&D Program of China (Funding code 2016YFE0126400)，Joint research grant between China and Canada National Research Council (NRC), China Ministry of Science and technology (MOST), 3.68 million Chinese Yuan (RMB), (For NRC part, the Canada government sponsored 1 million Canada dollars).
8. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI. 2018-2022, The lignin degradation mechanism and its processing characterizations in the digestive system of Formosan Subterranean Termite, sponsored by National Natural Science Foundation of China, 750,000 Chinese Yuan (RMB). Funding code 31772529
9. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI. 2009-2013, Waste biomass recycling, reuse, and recovery for fuels and chemicals, Sponsored by Jiangsu University as a starting fund, 2,200,000 Chinese Yuan (RMB).
10. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI. 2011-2014, Biological conversion of biomass for fuels and chemicals by explorations from natural biomass utilization systems, Sponsored by Jiangsu provincial government, 3,000,000 Chinese Yuan (RMB).
11. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI. 2009-2011, Biomass conversion by wood-feeding termites and other insect cellulosic utilization systems. Sponsored by Jiangsu provincial government, 1,000,000 Chinese Yuan (RMB).
12. Jian-Zhong Sun, PI. 2009-2013, Biological pretreatment of lignocellulose for bioethanol with the novel technologies from termite cellulolytic systems, sponsored by Jiangsu provincial government, Sponsored by Jiangsu provincial government, 2,800,000 Chinese dollars (RMB).
13. Jian-Zhong Sun. et al., PI, 2014-2017, Study on the biomass utilization systems for efficient biomass conversion to realize cellulosic biofuels. Sponsored by Jiangsu provincial government, 2,000,000 Chinese dollars (RMB).
14. Jian-Zhong Sun. et al., PI, 2015-2017, The utilization and quick reforming of the salty coast lands for industrial application. Sponsored by Jiangsu provincial government, 600,000 Chinese dollars (RMB).
1. Award: 2011, Nominee for Annual Eni award, which awards to only one outstanding scientist world-wide in each year to promote a better use of energy sources, promote research on the environment and help the new generations of researchers to emerge.
2. Memberships: Society for Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, USA
3. China Energy Association, P. R. China, Vice president
4. China Energy and Environmental Technology Association, Standing Execute committee member.
5. The Entomological Society of China, Session vice chairman for Insect gut symbionts committee
6. Guest editor of the special issue, “Biobased polymers and composites”, for an international journal, International Journal of polymer Science, published by Hindawi in 2018
7. Guest editor of the special issue, “Insects and Biofuels”, for an international journal, Insect Science, published by Wiley and Blackwell in 2010
8. Invited leading editor of a book titled as “Biological conversion of biomass for fuels and chemicals-- Explorations from natural biomass utilization systems” by Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) in 2011, which will be published in 2013.
9. Invited panel member for "Bioenergy and Environment" of The Consortium for Plant Biotechnology Research, Inc. ("CPBR"), USA;
10. Invited panel member by USDA (ARS and CSREES) for reviewing the new five-year action plan on the USDA-ARS Veterinary, Medical, and Urban Entomology Program in 2008, USA;
11. Invited panel member for USDA grant reviewing since 2008;
12. Invited panel member of grant reviewer by National Natural Scientific Foundation of China since 2007;
Books/chapters, and Special issue as an editor (only after year of 2000)：
(* indicate as a contact author)
1. Sun Jianzhong*, Ding, S. Y. and D. J. Peterson (Eds.). 2014. Biological conversion of biomass for fuels and chemicals—Explorations from natural biomass utilization systems, Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), London, (As one of The RSC Energy & Environment Book Series). In English (ISBN：978-1-84973-424-0). Serve as the Editor-in-Chief.
2. Zhang, C. Q. Quirino, R. L. and Jianzhong Sun* (Guest Editor), Biobased polymers and composites, International Journal of Polymer Science, V2018 (2018)
3.Yang-Chun Yong, Jing-Xian Wang, Zhao Cai, Jianzhong Sun, 2013.Quorum sensing for clean environment and green energy. Book chapter in Advances in Environmental Research (Vol. 28), p129-148, Nova Publishers. In English.
4. Yang-Chun Yong and Jianzhong Sun, 2013. New strategies for development of electroactive biofilm and molecular breeding for high performance microbial fuel cells. Pp. 289-300, In 2013 Industrial Biotechnology Development Report. Scientific Press. Beijing. In Chinese with English abstract
5. Le, Y. L. and Jianzhong Sun*. 2012. Recent advances and challenges of the recombinant protein expression systems in current industrial biotechnology. Pp. 205-214, In 2012 Industrial Biotechnology Development Report. Scientific Press. Beijing. In Chinese with English abstract.
6. Sun Jianzhong*. and X. G. Zhou. 2011. Utilization of Lignocellulose-feeding Insects for Viable Biofuels: An Emerging and Promising Area of Entomological Science. Pp. 434-500. In Recent Advances of Entomological Research: from molecular biology to pest management [Eds. By Liu T. X. and Kang L.], Springer, Berlin and Higher Education Press, Beijing. In English.
7. Chang, F.-X, Jianzhong Sun*. 2011. Development of Novel Pretreatment Technologies for Fuel Ethanol Production from Lignocellulosic Biomass. Pp. 262-270, In 2011 Industrial Biotechnology Development Report. Scientific Press. Beijing. In Chinese with English abstract
8. Sun Jianzhong* 2010. Termite cellulolytic systems used for biofuels industry: current state-of-the-art and the perspectives. Pp. 205-218. In Industrial Biotechnology Development Report. Scientific Press. Beijing. In Chinese with English abstract
9. Sun Jianzhong*. and M. E. Scharf (Eds., special issue editor). 2010. Insects and Biofuels. Insect Science, V17: 163-333 (Special issue of the journal, Served as the Guest Editor), Wiley and Black-well.
Papers (Part of a total of >130 published papers, only after year of 2000)
1. Wang, Q. Q., C. C. Ji, L. S. Sun, Jianzhong Sun*, Liu Jun, Cellulose nanofibrils filled poly(lactic acid) biocomposite filament for FDM 3D printing, Molecules, 2020, 25,2319, doi:10.3390/molecules25102319
2. Fiaz, A. D. C. Cheney，Jianzhong Sun*, Bacterial chemotaxis: a way forward to aromatic compounds biodegradation, Environmental Sciences Europe, 2020, 32:52
3. Le, Y. L., Y. Fu, N. Li, Jianzhong Sun*, Expresion and characterization of a thermostable pyruvate feredoxin oxidoreductase from the hyperthermophile Thermotogane apolitana and its application in acetyl-CoA production, China biotechnology, 2020, V40(3):72-78. DOI:10.13523/j.cb.1908013, In Chinese
4. Zhu, Q.Q., J. J. Wang, Jianzhong Sun*, Q. Q. Wang, Preparation, Characterization, and oxygen barrier properties of regenerated cellulose/polyvinyl alcohol blend films, BioResources, 2020, 15(2), 2735-2746
5. Wu, J. Y. L. Tao, A. L., Geng, R. R. Xie, D. C. Zhu, Q. Q. Wang, L. S. Sun, Jianzhong Sun*, Acetylation of bacterial cellulose using N-Methylimidazole as a catalyst under solvent-free and N, N-dimethylacetamide/Lithium chloride solvent systems, BioResources, 2020, 15(2), 3688-3706
6. Ali, S. S., M. Kornaros, A. Manni, Jianzhong Sun*, A. El-Raheem R. El-Shanshoury, El-Refaie Kenawy, M. A. Khalil, Enhanced anaerobic digestion performance by two artificially constructed microbial consortia capable of woody biomass degradation and chlorophenols detoxification, J. Hazardous Materials, 2020, Doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2020.122076.
7.Zhu, Q. Q., S. M. Liu, Jianzhong Sun, J. Liu, C. J. Kirubaharan, H. L. Chen, W. H. Xu, Q. Q. Wang, Stimuli-Responsive Cellulose Nanomaterials for Smart Applications, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2020, Doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2020.115933.
8. Ali, S. S., A. M. Mustafa, M. Kornaros, A. Manni, Jianzhong Sun*, M. A. Khalil, Construction of novel microbial consortia CS-5 and BC-4 valued for the degradation of catalpa sawdust and chlorophenols simultaneously with enhancing methane production, Bioresource Technology, 2020, Doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2019.122720
9. Liu J., L. S. Sun, Q. Q. XU, Q. Q. Wang, S. J. Yu, Jianzhong Sun*, Current advances and future perspectives of 3D printing natural-derived biopolymers, Carbohydrate Polymers, 2019, V207: 297-316.
10. Wang, Y. L., Jianzhong Sun*, S. S. Ali, L. Gao, X. N. Ni, X. Li, Y. F. Wu, J. X. Jiang, Identification and expression analysis of Sorghum bicolor gibberellin oxidase genes with varied gibberellin levels involved in regulation of stem biomass, Industrial Crops and Products, 2019, V145 (2020), 11195，DOI:10.1016/j.indcrop.2019.111951. (Serve as the first author)
11. Wang, Q. Q., C. C. Ji, Jianzhong Sun*, Q. Yao, J. Liu, Kinetic thermal behavior of nanocellulose filled polylactic acid filament for fused filament fabrication 3D printing. J. of Applied Polymer Science, 2019. Doi:10.1002/app.48374.
12. Li, X., X. Y. Geng, L. Gao, Y. F. Wu, Y. L. Wang, A. L. Geng, Jianzhong Sun*, J. X. Jiang, Optimized expression of a hyperthermostable endoglucanase from Pyrococcus horikoshii in Arabidopsis thaliana, BioReource, 2019, 14(2): 2812-2826.
13. Wang, Q. Q., Q. Yao, J. Liu, Jianzhong Sun, Q. Q. Zhu, H. L. Chen, Processing nanocellulose to bulk materials: a review, Cellulose, 2019, Doi.org/10.1007/s10570-019-02642-3
14. Zhu, Q. Q., Q. Yao, Jianzhong Sun, H. L. Chen, W. H. Xu, J. Liu, Q. Q. Wang, Stimuli induced cellulose nanomaterials alignment and its emerging applications: A review, 2019, Carbohydrate Polymers, Doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2019.115609
15. Murillo G., S. S. Ali, Jianzhong Sun*, Y. J. Yan, P. Bartocci, N. El-Zawawy, M. Azab, Y. J. he, F. Fantozzi, Ultrasonic emulsification assisted immobilized Burkholderia cepacian lipase catalyzed transesterification of soybean oil for biodiesel production in a novel reactor design, Renewable Energy, 2019, V135: 1025-1034.
16. Li Feng., Rongrong Xie, Nian Liang, Jianzhong Sun*, and Daochen Zhu, Biodegradation of lignin via Pseudocitrobacter anthropic MP-4 isolated from the gut of wood-feeding termite, Microtermes pakistanicus (Isoptera: Termitidae), BioResourse, 2019, 14 (1):1992-2012.
17. Li Feng, Nian Liang, Jianzhong Sun*, Degradation characteristics of a novel aniline blue-discoloring bacterial strain MP-13, Trabulsiella odontotermitis, and its degradation pathway analysis, Microbiology China, 2020, V47(1):35-4, (DOI: 10.13344/j.microbiol.china.190414) In Chinese with English Abstract.
18. Geng, Alei, Jian Wu, Rongrong Xie, Hongcheng Wang, Yanfang Wu, Xia Li, Fuxiang Chang, Jianzhong Sun*, Highly thermostable GH51 alpha-arabinofuranodisade from Hungateiclostridium clariflavum DSM 19732, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2019, V103: 3783-3793
19. Ali, S. S., R. Al-Tohamy, A. Manni, F. C. Luz, T. Elsamahy, Jianzhong Sun*, Enhanced digestion of bio-pretreated sawdust using a novel bacterial consortium: Microbial community structure and methane-producing pathways, Fuel, 2019, V254: 115604
|20. Ali, S. S., Jianzhong Sun*, Effective thermal pretreatment of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) for the enhancement of biomethanation: VIT gene probe technology for microbial community analysis with special reference to methanogenic Archea, J. of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2019, 02853, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2018.102853|
21. Ali, S. S., N. A. El-Zawawy, R. Al-Tohamy, S. El-Sapagh, A. M. Mustafa, Jianzhong Sun*, Lycium shawii Roem. & Schult.: A new bioactive antimicrobial and antitoxidant agent to combat multi-drug/plan-drug resistant pathogens of wound infections, J. of Traditional and complementary Medicine, 2019, (Accepted for publication).
|22.Ali, S. S., A. A. Nessem, Jianzhong Sun*, X. Li, The effects of water hyacinth pretreated digestate on Lupinus termis L. seedings under salinity stress: A complementary study, J. of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 2019, V7 (2019)103159. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2019.103159|
23. El-Refaie K., S. S. Ali, M. Al-Etewy, Jianzhong Sun*, J. Wu, N. El-Zawawy, Synthesis, characterization and biomedical applications of a novel Schiff base on methyl acrylate-funtionalized chitosan bearing p-nitrobenzaldehyde groups, International J. of Biological Macromolecules, 2019, V122: 833-843
24. Asha Embrandiri, Parveen Fatemeh Rupani, Loh Kar Woon, Mohd Hafiz Jamaludin, Mohd Azrul Naim, Jianzhong Sun, Weilan Shao and Suzy Ismail, Treatment of Dye Wastewater by Functionalization of Bentonite-Methylene Blue with Sodium Persulfate, International J. of Environmental Treatment techniques, 2019, V7 (2): 229-233.
|25. Geng, Alei., Yanbing Cheng, Yongli Wang, Daochen Zhu, Yilin Le, Jian Wu, Rongrong Xie, Joshua S. Yuan, and Jianzhong Sun*, Transcriptome analysis of the digestive system of a wood-feeding termite (Coptotermes formosanus) revealed a unique mechanism for effective biomass degradation, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2018, V11(1): 24, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13068-018-1015-1|
|26. Zhu, D. C., H. B. Si, P. P. Zhang, A.L. Geng, W. M. Zhang, B. Yang, W. J. Qian, M. Gabriel and J. Z. Sun*, Genomics and biochemistry investigation on the metabolic pathway of milled wood and alkali lignin-derived aromatic metabolites of Comamonas serinivorans SP-35, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2018, V11: 338, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13068-018-1341-3.|
27. Geng A. L., J. Wu, R. r. Xie, H. C. Wang, Y. F. Wu, X. Li, F. C. Chang, and Jianzhong Sun*, Highly thermostable GH51 α-arabinofuranosidase from Hungteiclostridium clariflavum DSM 19732, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 2019, V103: 3783-3793.
28. Wang, Q. Q., Jianzhong Sun*, Q. Yao, C. C. Ji, J. Liu, Q. Q. Zhu, 3D printing with cellulose materials, Cellulose, 2018, V25 (8): 4275-4301.
29. Ali, S. S., Al-Tohamya, R., Jianzhong Sun*, J. H. Z. Wua, Liu. Screening and construction of a novel microbial consortium SSA-6 enriched from the gut symbionts of wood-feeding termite, Coptotermes formosanus and its biomass-based biorefineries. 2019, Fuel, V236:1128-1145.
30. Ali, S. S., El-Refaie Kenawy, F. I. Sonbol, Jiaznzhong Sun*, Phamaceutical potentiall of a novel chitosan derivative Schiff base with special reference to antibacterial, anti-biofilm, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, hemocompatibility and cytotoxic activeties, 2019, Pharm Res., (2019)36:5, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11095-018-2535-x
31. Wu, J., A. Geng, R. R. Xie, H. C. Wang, Jianzhong Sun*, Characterization of cold adapted and ethanol tolerant -glucosidase from Bacillus cellulosilyticus and its application for directed hydrolysis of cellobiose to ethanol, International J. of Biological Macromolecules, 2018, V109 (2018): 872-879.
32. Al-Tohamy R，S. S. Ali, K. Saad-Allah, M. Fareed, A. Ali, A. El-Badry, N. A. El-Zawawy, J. Wu, Jianzhong Sun*, G. H. Mao, P. F. Rupani, Phytochemical analysis and assessment of antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of some medicinal plant species from Egyptian flora, J. of Applied Biomedicine, 2018, V16: 289-300.
33. Wagih A. El-Shouny, Sameh S. Ali, Jianzhong Sun*, Sara M. Samy, Asmaa Ali, Drug resistance profile and molecular characterization of extended spectrum beta-lactamase (ESβL)-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from burn wound infections. Essential oils and their potential for utilization, Microbial Pathogenesis, 2018, V116: 301-312.
34. Murillo G.，Jianzhong Sun*, Sameh S. Ali, Yunjun Yan, Pietro Bartocci, Yaojia He, Evaluation of the kinematic viscosity in biodiesel production with waste vegetable oil, ultrasonic irradiation and enzymatic catalysis: A comparative study in two-reactors, Fuel, 2018, V227: 448-456
35. Ali S. S., Raina Al-Tohamy, Jianzhong Sun*, J. Wu, M. Huang, The role of gut symbionts from termites: a unique hidden player from yeasts, Acta Mocrobiologica Sinica, 2018, V58 (6): 1004-1015. In Chinese with English Abstract
36. Geng A. L., J. Wu, R. r. Xie, X. Li, F. C. Chang, and Jianzhong Sun*, Characterization of a laccase from a wood-feeding termite, Coptotermes formosanus, Inset Sciences, 2018, V25:251-258
|37. Zhu, D. C., H. B. Si, P. P. Zhang, A.L. Geng, W. M. Zhang, B. Yang, W. J. Qian, M. Gabriel and Jianzhong Sun*, Genomics and biochemistry investigation on the metabolic pathway of milled wood and alkali lignin-derived aromatic metabolites of Comamonas serinivorans SP-35, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2018, V11:338, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13068-018-1341-3|
38. Li, Q. D., L. Gao, J. X. Jiang, Y. F. Wu, Y. L. Wang, Y. Y. Liu, Jianzhong Sun*, Construction and verification of the thermophilic endoglucanase (E1) subcellular plant expression vector, Jiangsu J. of Agricultural Sciences, 2018, V34(6):1247-1253.
39. Zhu, Q. Q., W. Wei, Jianzhong Sun, Q. Q. Wang, One-Pot NaOH/Urea Pretreatment and saccharification of corn stover for fermentable sugar production, BioResources, 2018, V13(3): 5875-5882.
40. Y. Y. Liu, Y. F. Wu, L. Gao, X. Li, Jianzhong Sun, J. X. Jiang, Cloning and expression analysis of Bral gene in Brachypodium distachyan, J. of Agricultural Biotechnology, 2018, V26 (10): 44-53. In Chinese with English Abstract.
41. Wei, W, F. X. Chang, Jianzhong Sun, Q. Q. Wang, Recent Advances in “one-pot” bioethanol production from lignocellulose, 2018, Biomass Chemical Engineering, 2018, 52 (1): 53-59. In Chinese with English Abstract.
42. Zhu, D. C., P. P. Zhang, C. X. Xie, W. M. Zhang, Jianzhong Sun, W.‐J. Qian and B. Yang, Biodegradation of alkaline lignin by Bacillus ligniniphilus L1, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2017，V10:44, DOI 10.1186/s13068-017-0735-y
43. Ali S. S., Abd El-Fatah Abomohra, Jianzhong Sun*, Effective bio-pretreatment of sawdust waste with a novel microbial consortium for enhanced biomethanation, Bioresource Technology, 2017, V238: 425-432.
44.Ali S. S., Wu jian, Rongrong Xie, Feng Zhou, Jianzhong Sun*, Huang miao, Screening and characterizing of xylanolytic and xylose-fermenting yeasts isolated from the wood-feeding termite, Reticulitermes chinensis, Plos One, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.
45. Ali S. S., Jianzhong Sun, Physo-chemical pretreatment and fungal biotreatment for park wastes and cattle dung for biogas production, Springer Plus, 2017, Doi 10.1186/s40064-015-1466-9, p1-14.
46. Yu Y. Y., Dandan Zhai, Rongwei Shi, Jianzhong Sun, Xiang Liu, and Yangchun Yong, Three-dimensional electrodes for high-performance bioelectrochemical systems, International Journal of Molecular sciences, 2017, V18 (1): doi:10.3390/ijms18010090.
47. Liu J., L. S. Sun, Q. Q. Wang, Jianzhong Sun*, The advancements and prospects of 3D printing material using biomass-based composites, Biotechnology and Business, 2017, V59 (3): 68-81. In Chinese with English Abstract
48. Geng A., Jainzhong Sun*, R. R. Xie, J. Wu, N. Xiao, Natural Bioconversion systems of lignocellulose, the processing characteristics and biomimtic applications, Biotechnology and Business, 2017, V59 (3): 56-62. In Chinese with English Abstract.
49. Wang, Yan-Zhai, Shen, Yu, Gao, Lu, Liao, Zhi-Hong, Sun, Jian-Zhong, Yong, Yang-Chun, Improving the extracellular electron transfer of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1 for enhanced bioelectricity production from biomass hydrolysate, RSC Advances, 2017, V7: 50488-50494, DOI: 10.1039/C7RA04106C.
50. Fu L., X. Li, L. Gao, J. X. Jiang, Jianzhong Sun*, Endophytic bacteria can mitigate salinity stress on seed germination and physiology in hybrid Pennisetum, Pratacultural Science, 2017, V34 (10): 2099-2108. In Chinese with English Abstract.
51. Liu Y. T., Jianzhong Sun, J. X. Jiang, Cloning, heterologous expression and characterization of a ferulic acid esterase gene from thermophilic Clostridium thermocellum, Microbiology China, 2017, V44 (6): 1331-1338. In Chinese with English Abstract.
52. Geng, A. L., H. C. Wang, J. Wu, R. R. Xie, Jianzhong Sun, Characterization of a beta-Xylosidase from Clodtridium clariflavum and its application in xylan hydrolysis, BioResources, 2017, V12 (4): 9253-9262.
53. Zhang, M. H., F, X, Chang, X. X. Zhong, Jianzhong Sun, G. J. Qiao, Preparation and characterization of cellulose nanofibers from hybrid Pennisetum (Pennisetum Americanum X P. Purpureum), J. of Materials Development and Application, 2017, V31(1):94-98. In Chinese with English Abstract.
54. Zhang, P. P., Jianzhong Sun, C. X. Xie, D. C. Zhu, Lignin degradation by Comamonas serinivorans C35, Microbiology China, 2017, V44(5):1131-1137. In Chinese with English Abstract.
55. Li X., Xiaoyan Geng, Rongrong Xie, Lei Fu, Jianxiong Jiang, Lu Gao and Jianzhong Sun*, The endophytic bacteria isolated from elephant grass (Pennisetum purpureum Schumach) promote plant growth and enhance salt tolerance of Hybrid Pennisetum, Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2016, V9 (1): 190, DOI 10.1186/s13068-016-0592-0.
56. Zhai, D. D., B. Li, Jianzhong Sun, D. Z. Sun, R. W. Si, and Y. C. Yong, Enhanced power production from microbial fuel cells with high cell density culture, Water Science and Technology, 2016, 73.9: 2176-2181.
57. Zhu, Daochen, P. P. Zhang, P. P. Li, J. Wu, R. R. C. X. Xie, Jianzhong Sun, L. L. Niu, Description of Leucobacter holotrichiae sp nov., isolated from the gut of Holotrichia oblita larvae, International J. Systematic Evolutionary Microbiology, 2016, V66: 1857-1861.
58. Zhu, D. C., P. P. Zhang, L. L. Niu, C. X. Xie, P. P. Li, Jianzhong Sun, F. Hang, Bacillus ectoiniformans sp nov., a halotolerant bacterium isolated from deep-sea sediments, International J. Systematic Evolutionary Microbiology, 2015, V66 (2), DOI: 10.1099/ijsem.0.000763
59. Wang, J. J., Q. Q. Wang, C. Q. Zhang, Jianzhong Sun, Research progress on preparation and properties of functional regenerated cellulose composite membranes, Chemical Industry and Engineering Progress, 2016, V35 (2): 341-351. In Chinese with English Abstract.
60. Sun, Jianzhong*, S. L. Shi, J. Wu, R. R. Xie, A. L. Geng, and D. C. Zhu, Characterization of a salt-torlerant and cold-adapted xylanase from Bacillus cellulosilyticus, BioResources, 2016, V11 (4): 8875-8889.
61. Wang, Q. Q, W. Wei, F. X. Chang, Jianzhong Sun, R. R. Xie, Q. Song, Q. Q. Zhu, Controlling the Size and Film Strength of Individualized Cellulose Nanofibrils Prepared by Combined Enzymatic Pretreatment and High Pressure Microfluidization, BioResources, 2016, V11(1): 2536-2547.
62. Wang, Q. Q., W. Wei, X. Li, Jianzhong Sun, J. He, M. X. He, Comparative Study of Alkali and Acidic Cellulose Solvent Pretreatment of Corn Stover for Fermentable Sugar Production, BioResources, 2016, V11(1): 4822-291.
63. Feng T. T., H. T. Liu, Q. G. Xu, Jianzhong Sun & H. F. Shi, Identification and Characterization of Two Endogenous β-Glucosidases from the Termite Coptotermes formosanus. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 2015, V176 (7): 2039-52, DOI 10.1007/s12010-015-1699-7.
64. Sun, Jianzhong., G. P. Kingori, R.-W. Si, D.-D. Zhai, Z.-H. Liao, D.-Z. Sun, T. Z. and Y.-C. Yong, Microbial fuel cell-based biosensors for environmental monitoring: a review, Water Science & Technology, 2015, V71(6):801-9, doi: 10.2166/wst.2015.035.
65. Wang, Q. Q., W. Wei, G. P. Kingori, Jianzhong Sun, Cell Wall Disruption in 1ow Temperature NaOH/urea Solution and its Potential Application in Lignocellulose Pretreatment. Cellulose, 2015，V22(6): 3559-3568.
66. Geng, A. L., R. Wu, R. R. Xie, X. Li, F. X. Chang, Jianzhong Sun, Construction of a Bacterial Cellulase Cocktail for Saccharification of Regenerated Cellulose and Pretreated Corn Stover, BioResources, 2015, V10 (4), DOI:10.15376/biores.10.4.7681-7692.
67. Liao, Zhi-Hong, Sun, Jianzhong, Sun, De-Zhen, Si, Rong-Wei, Yong, Yang-Chun, Enhancement of power production with tartaric acid doped polyaniline nanowire network modified anode in microbial fuel cells, Bioresource Technology, 2015, V192: 831-834.
68.Yong, Y. C., X. Y. Wu, Jianzhong Sun, Y. X. Cao, H. Song, Engineering quorum sensing signaling of Pseudomonas for enhanced wastewater treatment and electricity harvest: A review, Chemosphere, 2015, V140: 18-25.
69. Haifang Qiu, Alei Geng, Daochen Zhu, Yilin Le, Jian Wu, Nienwen Chow, J. H. David Wu, Jianzhong Sun*, 2014. Purification and Characterization of a Hemocyanin (Hemo1) with Potential Lignin-Modification Activities from the Wood-Feeding Termite, Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki, Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 2015, V175: 687-697, DOI 10.1007/s12010-014-1326-z.
70. Yong Y. C., Xiang-Yang Wu, Jianzhong Sun, Ying-Xiu Cao, Hao Song, 2014. Engineering cell-cell communication of Pseudomonas for enhanced bioremediation and bioelectricity harvest: A review, Chemosphere, 2015, V140: 18-25.
71. Xie, C. X., Jianzhong Sun, C. L. Li, D. C. Zhu, Exploring the lignin degradation by bacteria, Microbiology China, 2015, V42 (6): 1122-1132. In Chinese with English abstract
72. Wang, Q. Q.; W. Wei; Jianzhong Sun Y. Liu, Recent Advances in Cellulose solvent based on lignocellulose pretreatment, Paper Science & Technology, 2014, 33 (3): 9-14. In Chinese with English Abstract.
73. Sun Jianzhong, Liao Z-H, Si R-W, Kingori G P, Chang F-X, Gao L, Shen Y, Xiao X, Wu X-Y, Yong Y-C. Adsorption and removal of triphenylmethane dyes from water by magnetic reduced graphene oxide. Water Science & Technology, 2014, 70(10): 1663-9.
74. Zhu D. C., Xie C. X., Huang Y, Jianzhong Sun, Zhang W. Description of Comamonas serinivorans sp. nov., isolated from wheat straw compost. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, 2014, 64 (Pt 12): 4141-6.
75. Wang Q. Q., Zhu Q. Q., Xu J, Jianzhong Sun, Combined Mechanical Destruction and Alkaline Pretreatment of Wheat Straw for Enhanced Enzymatic Saccharification. BioResources, 2014, 9(4): 6841-50.
76. Huang Hai-Di, J. Tian, R. R. Xie, Jianzhong Sun, Study on the distribution, damage status and management strategies of the main species of wood-feeding termites in Zhenjiang area, Jiangsu, Chinese Journal of Applied Entomology. 2014, 51(4): 1075−1085. In Chinese with English abstract.
77. Huang H.D., J. Tie, R. R. Xie, JianZhong Sun, The food preferences of Reticulitermes chinensis and Coptotermes formosanus to some common tree species in the Zhenjiang area, Chinese Journal of Applied entomology, 2014, V52 (6): 1451-1458. In Chinese with English Abstract.
78. Wang Q. Q., Zhu Q. Q., Jianzhong Sun, Liu Y., Zhan H.Y. Comparison of Morphology and Fast Characterization Methods of Nanocellulose. Chemistry and Industry of Forest Products, 2014, 34 (6): 49-55. In Chinese with English Abstract.
79. Wang Q. Q., Zhu Q. Q., Jianzhong Sun, J. X. Xu, Research Progress on Thermal Stability of Nanocrystalline Cellulose. Biomass Chemical Engineering, 2014, 48 (5): 47-51. In Chinese with English Abstract.
80. Wang Q. Q., Zhan H., Jianzhong Sun, Z.G. Wang, Cellulase Adsorption-desorption Behavior onto /from Lignocellulosic Substrates and Potential Recycling. Paper Science & Technology, 2014, 33 (3): 9-14. In Chinese with English Abstract.
81. Zhu D. C., Shoko-Hosoi Tanabe, Changxiao Xie, Daiske Honda, Jianzhong Sun and Lianzhong Ai, Bacillus ligniniphilus sp. nov., an alkaliphilic and halotolerant bacterium isolated from sediments ofthe South China Sea. Internat. J. System. and Evolut. Microbiol., 2014, 64: 1712–1717.
82. Zhu D. C., Changxiao Xie, Ying Huang, Jianzhong Sun and Weimin Zhang. 2014. Description of Comamonas serinivorans sp. nov., isolated 1 from wheat straw compost. International J. of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 2014, V64: 4141-4146.
83. Wang Q. Q., Q. Q. Zhu, Jiaxing Xu, and Jianzhong Sun, Combined Mechanical Destruction and Alkaline Pretreatment of Wheat Straw for Enhanced Enzymatic Saccharification. BioResources, 2014, V9 (4): 6841-6850.
84. Wang Q. Q., Zhan H. Y., Jianzhong Sun, Wang, Z. G. Cellulase adsorption-desorption behavior onto/from lignocellulosic substrates and potential recycling, Paper Sci. Technol. 2014, V33 (3): p9-14.
85. Wang Q. Q.，Zhu, Q. Q.，Jianzhong Sun，Xu, J. X., 2014, Research progress on thermal stability of Nano-crystalline cellulose. Chem. Indust. Forest Product V48 (5): p47-51. In Chinese with English Abstract.
86. Huang H. T., Tian, J., Xie, R. R., Jianzhong Sun*, Study on the distribution, damage status and management strategies of the main species of wood-feeding termites in Zhenjiang area, Jiangsu. Chinese J. Appl. Entomol., 2014, V51(4): 1075-1085.
87. Daochen Zhu, Pingping Li, Shoko-Hosoi Tanabe, Jianzhong Sun*, Genome Sequence of the Alkaliphilic Bacterial Strain Bacillus ligninesis L1, a Novel Degrader of Lignin. Genome Announcements, 2013, V:1 (Issue 2), e00042-13.
88. Yong, Y. C., C. Zhao, Y. Y. Yu, P. Chen, R. R. Jiang, B. Cao, Jianzhong Sun, J. Y. Wang, H. Song, Increase of riboflavin biosynthesis underlies enhancement of extracellular electron transfer of Shewanellain alkaline microbial fuel cells. Bioresource Technology, 2013, 130: 763-768.
89. Yong Y. C., Zhi-Hong Liao, Jianzhong Sun, Tao Zheng, Rong-Rong Jiang, Hao Song, Enhancement of coulombic efficiency and salt tolerance in microbial fuel cells by graphite/alginate granules immobilization of Shewanella oneidensis MR-1. Process Biochemistry, 2013, 48:1947-1951.
90. Zhu D. C., Shoko-Hosoi Tanabe, Chaong yang, Weimin Zhang, Jianzhong Sun, Bacterial community composition of South China Sea sediments through pyrosequencing-based analysis of 16SrRNA genes. PLOS ONE, 2013, V18(10):e78501
91. Zhu D. C., Shoko-Hosoi Tanabe, Changxiao Xie, Daiske Honda, Jianzhong Sun and lianzhong Ai., Bacillus ligniniphilus sp. nov., an alkaliphilic and halotolerant 1 bacterium isolated from sediments of South China Sea. International J. Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, 2014, V64: 1712-1717.
92. Cao Y.-Q, Jianzhong Sun*, et al., Effects of antibiotics on hydrogen production and gut symbionts in the Formosan subterranean termite, Coptotermes formosanus. Insect Science, 2012, V19: 346-354.
93. Li H. J., Jianzhong Sun*, J. M. Zhao, T. F. Deng, J. R. Lu, Y. Dong, W. Deng, and J. C. Mo., Physicochemical conditions and metal ion profiles in the gut of the fungus-growing termite, Odontotermes formosanus. J. Insect Physiol. 2012, V58: 1368-1375.
94. Le Y. L., Jingjing Peng, Huawei Wu, Jianzhong Sun, Weilan Shao, An Approach to the Production of Soluble Protein from a Fungal Gene Encoding an Aggregation-Prone Xylanase in Escherichia coli. Plos One, 2011, V6 (4): e18489, p1-8.
95. Sun Jianzhong* and M. E. Scharf, Exploring and integrating cellulolytic systems of insects to advance biofuel technology. Insect Sci., 2010, V17: 163-165.
96. Ke J., Jianzhong Sun*, et al. In situ oxygen profiling and lignin modification in guts of wood-feeding termites in situ oxygen profiling and lignin modification in guts of wood-feeding termites. Insect Sci., 2010, V17: 277-290.
97. Sun Jianzhong* and C. R. Chen, Cellulolytic insects and their potentials for viable biofuels: a new frontier discipline in Entomology and Bioengineering. Chinese Bulletin of Entomol., 2010, V47(6) :1033-1042.
98. Shi, W. B., R. Syrenne, Jianzhong Sun, and J. S. Yuan et.al., Molecular approaches to study the insect gut symbiotic microbiota at the “Omics” age. Insect Sci. 2010, V17: 199-219.
99. Sun Jianzhong*, C. R. Chen, Cellulolytic insects and their potentials for viable biofuels: a new frontier discipline in Entomology and Bioengineering, Chinese Journal of Applied Entomology, 2010, V47 (6): 1033-1042. In Chinese with English Abstract
100. Cao, Y.-Q, Sun, Jianzhong*, M. Rodriguez, and K. C. Lee, Hydrogen emission by three termite species (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae): profiles of continuous H2 production. Insect Sci. 2009, V17: 237-244.
101. Zhu Y. C., Jianzhong Sun, Lily Li Luo, Xiaofen Fanny Liu, Karmen Christeen Lee, Eldon J Malletteb and Craig A Abel, Identification of two haplotypes of cytochrome oxidase subunit II (COII) gene of the Formosan subterranean termite, Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae), in southern Mississippi. Pest Manag. Sci. 2009, V66: 612-620.
102. Sun Jianzhong*, Fuxa, J. R., A. Richter, D. Ring, Interaction of Metarhizium anisopliae and tree-based mulches in repellence and mycoses against the Formosan subterranean termite, Coptotermes formosanus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). Environ. Entomol. 2008, V37: 755-763.
103. Lee, K. C. J. Z. Sun*, Y. C. Zhu, and E. J. Mallette, A Case Study of the Formosan Subterranean Termite,Coptotermes formosanus Shiraki (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) Transported with a Non-Cellulosic Commercial Carrier in South Mississippi. Sociobiology, 2009, V53: 619-630.
104. Sun Jianzhong*, The degradation of lignocellulose by wood-feeding termites and its potential and practical values in biofuel industries. Mid-south Entomology, 2008, V1: 53-54.
105. Sun Jianzhong* Could wood-feeding termites provide better biofuels? Pp50-54, Proceedings of 2008 U. S. National Conference on Urban Entomology, 2008, Urban Pest Roundup, May 18-21, Tulsa, OK.
106. Sun Jianzhong*, M. E. Lockwood, J. L. Etheridge, J. Carroll, C. Z. Hollomon, C. E. H. Coker, and P. R. Knight, Distribution of Formosan subterranean termite (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) in Mississippi. J. Econ. Entomol. , 2007, V100:1400-1408
107. Sun Jianzhong*, Landscape mulches and termite nutritional ecology: growth and survival of incipient colonies of Coptotermes formosanus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). J. Econ. Entomol., 2007, V100:517-525.
108. Sun Jianzhong*, Bioconversion secrets: How wood-feeding termites do their things in harnessing lignocellulose and its potential and practical values in biofuels. P46, Proceedings of CrossOver 2007 Bioenergy: from field to wheels, Penn. State Univ., State College, PA, USA.
109. Sun Jianzhong*, M. E. Lockwood, and J. L. Etheridge, Evaluation of the preferences of dealates of Coptotermes formosanus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) between landscape mulches. Sociobiology, 2006, V48 (1): 85-99.
110. Sun Jianzhong*, M. E. Lockwood, Landscape mulches and termite nutritional ecology: growth and survival of incipient colonies of Coptotermes formosanus (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae). Proceedings of XV International Conference of the Union for the study of Social Insects (IUSSI), 2006, Washington, DC, p171.
111. Sun Jianzhong*, M. E. Lockwood, Landscape mulches: do they encourage Formosan subterranean termite colonies? Proceedings of SNA Research Conference, Sixteenth Annual Report (Eds. By Dr. J. L. Bryson), 2006, McMinnville, TN, USA, V51: 167-173.
112. Sun Jianzhong, Fuxa, J. R., and Henderson, G. Virulence and in vitro characteristics of pathogenic fungi isolated from soil by baiting with Coptotermes formosanus. J. Entomol. Sci., 2003, V38: 342-358.
113. Sun Jianzhong, Fuxa, J. R., and Henderson, G, Effects of Virulence, Sporulation, and Temperature on Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana Laboratory Transmission in nests of Coptotermes formosanus. J. Invert. Pathol., 2003, V84:38-46.
114. Sun Jianzhong, Fuxa, J. R., and Henderson, G., Sporulation of Metarhizium anisopliae and Beauveria bassiana on Coptotermes formosanus and in vitro. J. Invert. Pathol., 2002, 81:78-8